braz

Friday, December 01, 2006

Getting Pure Data (PD) to talk to Quartz Composer via Ruby

I'm working with Mikael on a little side project for James Devine, who's looking for a Tapometer (yes- something to measure the taps per second of a dancer). We're going to use PD and a microphone rig to measure the taps but we wanted a nice visualisation to represent the taps. Originally, I'd considered PD and GEM but I really fell in love with Quartz Composer and spent a little while looking for a solution, until I found out I had half a solution and I then crafted some ruby code to finish the solution. It looks a bit like this.


Resources: Ruby Code, SAPO Broker Quartz patch.

6 Comments:

  • hmm, so that's what you've been doing all this time. And I simply thought you were just trying to take over the world. :)
    /tony

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 a.m.  

  • This sounds awesome. Could you please tell us more about it? I am a huge fan of all three, but never thought about bridging them before. Actually if I could bridge either PD or QC with Ruby I would be happy.

    A pointer to resources you used would be awesome!

    By Blogger noah, at 1:24 a.m.  

  • QC understands both OSC and Midi, why the need to craft a work-around?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:01 a.m.  

  • I was using PD netsend which added a ';' semicolon and from previous experiences (this has caused many hiccups previously!) I decided to ensure that I parsed this using the ruby script and then sent the stream onwards. As I was using an external object broker from a third party, I wasn't sure if it'd keep the OSC information intact so under the normal time pressures, I went for the simplest but guaranteed to work solution. I had intend to clean this code up and publish it but since then the project has fallen by the wayside and I don't have time to go back to it yet.

    By Blogger Eoin Brazil, at 10:30 a.m.  

  • There is a much easier way of doing this detailed here that uses OSC

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 p.m.  

  • That's a nice new addition to Quartz Composer for Leopard, it'll probably be the way in the future I'll do it but it wasn't around for Tiger or earlier versions of Composer. At least Apple seem to be listening to their developer lists.

    By Blogger Eoin Brazil, at 1:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home