braz

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Dealing with ``too many unprocessed floats'' LaTeX errors

After scratching my head for a few minutes and attempting a number of solutions to the problem of ``too many unprocessed floats'' which was cropping up in my LaTeX generation process. I googled and came across this little gem from Marc Mengel.

The gist is that I've been throwing a goodly number of figures at LaTeX and it has throw a wobbler as it has simply run out of buffer space to deal with them. In the context of what I'm writing, my thesis in this case, I need the figures to hand so I can't simply space them out. The answer is to use either the \clearpage or the \cleardoublepage commands, which neatly sorted the problem.

3 Comments:

  • I have found another really useful package. \usepackage{placeins}. If you get the "too many unprocessed floats" through in a \FloatBarrier and it forces LaTeX to dump all the floats before this point. I have an Appendix with 20 figures one after the other, I threw a \FloatBarrier in the middle and it solved all the issues. FloatBarrier is also great to get all floats within a section rather than it flowing to the next section.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:01 a.m.  

  • Thanks I'll definitely try the placeins package and the FloatBarrier as some of the figures in my thesis are still giving me a bit of grief.

    By Blogger Eoin Brazil, at 11:52 a.m.  

  • hey anonymous, that was really helpful! I've got the same thing and had started trying to rectify the problems wish subsections and then the headings were all wrong... so this is very handy!

    By Blogger Simon, at 5:06 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home